Necessities You'll Need for Your Dorm
Moving into your dorm can be a tedious but also exciting task. Use this list (and the Dorm Room Necessities Checklist you can download below) to make sure you have everything you need for your first year at college.
These are suggestions – we recommend you adapt this list to suit your situation. We hope you enjoy your college experience!
Clothes & Laundry Supplies
- Clothes, hangers, detergent, laundry basket, dryer sheets, etc.
Bed Sheets, Pillows, & Extras
- Bed sheets, comforter, mattress pad, waterproof mattress protector, blankets, etc.
Bath Supplies, Storage, & Toiletries
- Towels, shampoo/conditioner & soap, toothbrush/paste, hairbrush, etc.
- Communal - shower shoes, robe, bath tote, etc.
- Private - shower shelf, bath mat, shower curtain
- Desk organizer, pencils, calendar, desk lamp, etc.
- Floor lamp, alarm clock, trash can, fan, etc.
- Shelving, bedside storage, storage ottoman, etc.
- Computer, DVD player, gaming system, stereo, TV, etc.
- We recommend talking with your roommate(s) before bringing all electronics, as they may be planning on bringing the same thing. See how you can split them up!
Important Papers & Medication
- Student ID, driver license, daily & emergency medication, etc.
- If you have any emergency medication, (epi-pen, inhaler, etc.) that may potentially need to be given to you by someone else, it is a good idea to teach your roommates what to do in a situation, and always carry instructions on how to use it!
Kitchen Supplies (if applicable)
- Dishware, utensils, pots & pans, etc.
Links to Specific College Necessities
- Target: Round Step Trash Can
- Bed Bath & Beyond: 16 inch Mattress Protector
- Dormify: Waterproof Mattress Protector
- Amazon: Dry Erase Calendar
- Amazon: Laundry Hamper
- Target: Suede Storage Ottoman
- Target: Desktop Storage Units
- Amazon: Bedside Storage Organizer
- H&M: Terry Bath Mat
- Amazon: Corner Shower Shelves
- JCPenny: Bath Towels