As you begin to think seriously about college, it will help to understand why you are going to college, and what it will be like. You need to look ahead and see what milestones you'll need to reach, and what steps will get you there. Of course, no one expects you to do it alone. Your support team can help, especially your counselor and parents.
Thinking It Through
Who Can Help
Sometimes, half the battle of applying to college is deciding which ones might actually be a good fit. After all, major factors like tuition cost, majors, courses, and campus life are vital things every parent and student should evaluate before making this type of commitment. Learn more about developing your college search criteria so that you can find the best fit for you and your education.
College Fit Is Important
- What Is Your Ideal College?
- What's Your College Fit, Academically Speaking?
- What's Your College Fit, Financially Speaking?
Features That Set Colleges Apart
- What Makes Colleges Different?
- What Makes a College Famous?
- College Size: Small, Medium or Large?
- Who's On Campus
- College Setting and Location Matter
- Understanding College Selectivity
- Should Your College Be Public or Private?
- Outcomes Matter: Do Students Succeed?
- Is a College Honors Program Right for You?
- Seven Signs That Studying Abroad Might Be Right For You
- Considering U.S. Military Academies
Major and Degree Options
- The ABCs of College Majors
- How to Choose a Major
- Your College Degree Options
- Is a Combined Degree Program Right for You?
Making Sense of It All
- How to Choose Your Top College Priorities
- Coping with Everyone's Opinions About College
- Should You Consider a Gap Year?
Just for Transfer Students
Just for Parents
Think before you search for colleges! The more you know about how to choose a college and the better your college search strategy, the better the results of your college search. Whether you want information about colleges you already think are a good fit, or you want to find new colleges that are right for you, we have the tips to get you started and the college search engine to finish the job.
College Search Strategies
- Five Steps to Begin Your College Search
- How to Start Your College List
- Making Your First (Serious) College List
- Get Smart About College Rankings
- How to Find Colleges with Strength in Your Major
- How to Find Colleges If Your Major Is Undecided
- Finding Financially Friendly Colleges
- Colleges That Connect Work and Learning
- If You Want to Play Your Sport in College
- How to Tell If a College Has a Strong Study Abroad Program
- Get Help From Your College Counselor
Find Out More About Your Colleges
- Mining for Gold on College Websites
- Get the Most from College Visits
- Do's and Don'ts for College Fairs
- Tips for Your College Tours
- Visit a College Without Stepping on Campus
- Ten College Qualities You Shouldn't Ignore
- Questions to Ask on College Visits
Deciding Which Colleges Might Work For You
- Looking at Colleges Side by Side
- Narrowing Down Your College List
- If Highly Selective Colleges Are on Your List
The Final Cut