Amy - Hillsdale College - Class of 2015
Hometown: Crownsville MD
High School: Private
Major: Christian studies
Goal: Work in the ministry
Freshman Year Update
I was homesick last semester, but then found a home away from home with my sorority. I have gotten involved with volunteer programs on campus as well. Classes at Hillsdale are challenging, however, so I have focused on making sure that academics come first in my life. Part of me now wishes I hadn't stressed out so much about deciding. This school is the best fit for me.
My dad's one rule is that I should not back down from a challenge. So going into the application season, I decided to go for two colleges that were absolute long shots for me.
Aiming high for Georgetown
I applied for early admission to Georgetown University and regular admission to The College of William and Mary. I decided that if trying my hardest wasn't good enough to get me in, it would simply mean that the school was not right for me. I picked Georgetown for its proximity to home, its challenging academics, and its diverse culture. I chose William and Mary for its beautiful campus and its academics.
However, my dad and I soon added another school to my list: Hillsdale College. The sister of a friend of mine was a junior there, and she loved the school. So I applied and promptly forgot about it. The rest of my schools were recommended by people at my church and were my backups.
Deferred, waitlisted, and denied—now what?
The woman who interviewed me for Georgetown made the experience so enjoyable, I left with the hope that I might be a good fit there. When my deferral letter arrived, I was stunned. I broke down in tears and then coped with my sorrow by finishing up my William and Mary application. Over Christmas break, my mother stood behind me and forced me to finish my last essay. Several months went by. I got a job at a coffee shop, I performed in my school's musical, and I got my driver's license. I heard from Hillsdale. I had been accepted. I was glad, but I didn't take it seriously at all.
Then over spring break came good news and bad news. The good news first: I visited Hillsdale College and fell in love immediately! I loved the sense of family on campus. As I walked around the college, students introduced themselves to me and encouraged me to look at different clubs on campus. The academics at Hillsdale are excellent, with small classes and the opportunity to forge great relationships with professors.
Now for the bad news. About a week later, I got a waitlist letter from Georgetown. I decided promptly that I would go to Hillsdale and turned down the waitlist offer. Two days later I heard back from William and Mary. I had been rejected. But I soon recovered. I was going to Hillsdale College in the fall and was very excited about it!
My ups and downs
Although I had mentally prepared myself for rejection, I was extremely disappointed at the deferral from Georgetown. When I opened the letter, I was helping at my little sister's birthday party and had to hide my disappointment for several hours. That made the disappointment that much stronger.
I was lucky to have had the support of my parents the whole time. Several friends of mine struggled with the expectations of their parents, which made the application process a very negative experience for them. I actually enjoyed my experience!
What I learned
I took a chance, applied to big name schools, and dealt with not getting in. I encourage other seniors to take a risk and try something new. Also, enjoy your senior year. Spend time with your family. It passes way too quickly, and the next thing you know, you're meeting your roommate and saying goodbye to your parents. Enjoy these last few months of security!
The money factor
I received $27,000 in merit-based scholarships. My parents are covering whatever isn't covered by my scholarships.
ROAD TO COLLEGE
Student Stories - 2016
- Ally - Ohio State University - Class of 2016
- Emma - College of William and Mary - Class of 2016
- Jess - Binghamton University - Class of 2016
- Leyth - Pomona College - Class of 2016
- Michael - Northeastern University - Class of 2016
- Molly - Vassar College - Class of 2016
- Shaquilla - Harvard College - Class of 2016
- Tlalli - Yale University - Class of 2016
- Pablo - Amherst College - Class of 2016
- Kathleen - UC Berkeley - Class of 2016
- David - Vanderbilt University - Class of 2016
Student Stories - 2015
- Brenna - Iowa State University - Class of 2015
- Candace - U. of N. Carolina at Chapel Hill - Class of 2015
- Andrew - Penn State University Park - Class of 2015
- Nick - Georgetown University - Class of 2015
- Stephen - University of Pennsylvania - Class of 2015
- Stephanie - Stanford University - Class of 2015
- Jeremy - Boston University - Class of 2015
- Amy - Hillsdale College - Class of 2015
- Maggie - UCLA - Class of 2015
- Joseph - University of Vermont - Class of 2015
Student Stories - 2014
- Alexander - U. of Colorado Boulder - Class of 2014
- Alexandra - Indiana U. Bloomington - Class of 2014
- Gabrielle - Furman University - Class of 2014
- Linda - Grinnell College - Class of 2014
- Mario - Cal Poly Pomona - Class of 2014
- Matt - Carleton College - Class of 2014
- Michael - University of Maryland - Class of 2014
- Monica - Hiram College - Class of 2014
- Obianujo - The College of New Jersey - Class of 2014
- Philip - American University - Class of 2014
- Leslie - Wesleyan University - Class of 2014
Student Stories - 2013
- Jessica - Wellesley College - Class of 2013
- Jason - Univ. of Michigan - Class of 2013
- Daniel - Yale University - Class of 2013
- Melanie - Colby College - Class of 2013
- Anthony - University of Pittsburgh - Class of 2013
- Claire - Johns Hopkins University - Class of 2013
- David - University of Chicago - Class of 2013
- Eric - UC San Diego - Class of 2013
- John - Pomona College - Class of 2013
- Umbar - Cornell University - Class of 2013
- Kira - Swarthmore College - Class of 2013
- Joelle - Univ. of Wisconsin-Madison - Class of 2013
- Mark - Union College - Class of 2013
- Uddit - U.S. Air Force Academy - Class of 2013
- Julia - University of Florida - Class of 2013
- Justin - University of Georgia - Class of 2013
- Stacy - Cal Poly San Luis Obispo - Class of 2013
- Briton - Hobart College - Class of 2013
Student Stories - 2012
- Roy - Calif. Maritime Acad. / UC Irvine - Class of 2012
- Kirsten - Chapman / UC Davis - Class of 2012
- Ashley - Mount Holyoke College - Class of 2012
- Marquis - Princeton University - Class of 2012
- Pauline - Seattle University - Class of 2012
- Sundiata - Univ. of Mass. Amherst - Class of 2012
- James - Villanova University - Class of 2012
Student Stories - 2011
Student Stories - 2010
- Daniela - Bates College - Class of 2010
- Renata - Brown University - Class of 2010
- Megan - Denison University - Class of 2010
- Catlin - Harvard College - Class of 2010
- Catherine - Reed College - Class of 2010
- Matthew - Syracuse University - Class of 2010
- Danielle - UCLA - Class of 2010
- Stephanie - University of Illinois - Class of 2010
- Sam - University of Washington - Class of 2010
- Jeffrey - Washington and Lee Univ. - Class of 2010
Student Stories - 2009
Live Well and Prosper
On the road to college? Make it easier with timely tips and expert advice - free. Find out more.
Sign up today!